Monday, August 3, 2009

Public Transportation, Supermarcados, and Sick Puppies

In the last few days, I've been using public transportation quite a lot. I wish I would claim that I figured it all out myself, but that would be a lie. Ashley, another teacher here from Chicago, has been our translator and savior. In return for her help, I smoke $1.25 US packs of cigarettes with her. Even though she bought them.

Anyways, the buses are what you might expect. It's nothing to write home about, but it also isn't a rolling rust bucket. They are littered with graffiti, ripped seat cushions, and a generally worn appearance. However, a trip to La Soriana (the grocery store) is 10 pesos, which is like 70 US cents. It's interesting to see the variety of patrons all in one small area. People watching. I love it.

La Soriana - When I was in college, Wal-Mart (which sucks ass, but everyone here loves, too) was what we'd do when we were bored. Walk around, look at things, buy unnecessary items, etc. Alright, I do the same thing here, but just at La Soriana. It's kind of like a Super Wal-Mart - with everything you could want - but the grocery prices are the only thing that is cheap.

Last night, Ashley finally figured out that I had been craving pico de gallo after I looked for the right salsa recipe forever (credit to Matt Val, grandson in our fraternity, who fixed the same dish one night in Mike Cowden's room and changed my life forever). So we made a late-night run to La Soriana for the ingredients. The pictures can be found on Facebook. But, I want to give the basic recipe, because you need to make it:

  • 6 tomatoes, seeded (you only want the meat on the outside)
  • 1/2 large white onion, chopped
  • 2-3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (depending on your desired hotness)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 whole lime

Mix all the ingrdients together, minus the lime. Squeeze the lime juice over it. Mix again and add salt to taste. You may also have to add water. Refridgerate for better results. Use with tortilla chips or over bread (or steak, as I found out tonight).

Let me tell you the other reason I love La Soriana. I love bread, stemming from my ten days in France and my love of French food and culture. In general, I love crusty bread. A large dinner roll sized bread, crusty, white or wheat - 1 freaking peso. How much is that? About 8 US cents. EIGHT DAMN CENTS! I know for a fact they are at least .99 at Meijer and much more other places. Yes, I bought a bag of gourmet, crusty, lovely bread for 7 pesos, or 50 US cents.

Back to transportation...we have also been using the taxi service frequently. Why? It's cheap, too. A ride to La Soriana or any other store is about 50 pesos, or 3.25 US dollars. A ride downtown from our house (where they will pick you up) is about 125 pesos, or 8.50 US dollars. That's a cab ride from the Northside of Indy to downtown Indy. Insane, I know. And the cabs are all pretty nice. They are nicer than the New York City cabs, which were bacterial cultures happening. And all our drivers so far have been very nice, especially the man who we coincidentally had twice in one night, who refused a large tip the first time and joked, "Next time." An hour later...bam! Next time happened. He took it. Gracias wonderful man.

One last thing...just down from our home, maybe 1/4 mile, is a roadside stand that sells - puppies. I haven't seen them personally, but Ashley and our other guide tell me they are sickly, die-in-three-days kind of puppies. I finally saw one today and it was adorable, but obviously a little ill. I'm sure they are inexpensive. But, a huge difference from here to the states is the obvious abundance of "entrepeneurs". People here sell everything, everywhere, anytime. But, in an economy and culture that has little money to spread around, where people make little dinero, there are extremes many people resort to to make money. Even selling sickly puppies.

p.s. - I have started to speak with a lisp. Even when I speak English. It's common for Spanish speakers to have a lisp (think plaza as platha). And maybe it's because my friend Mike, who studied in Spain, made sure I knew about the lisp and rolling of the "r", but seriously...I have a bad ass accent. Just wanted that to be known.

p.p.s. - Thanks for the comments so far. I appreciate them. Keep them coming. And if you have any questions about anything - certain habits, traits, cultural occurrences, differences, etc. - ask and I can hit those, too. I always want to please me readers - repeatedly. Gracias.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know pops, the lisp is only a regional thing and not characteristic of all of mexico. you'll find a variety of differences in the way people speak just in that one country. my mother's from sonora and there they do not have a lisp, but speak very loud and emphasize every syllable. monterrey having closer ties with spain during colonial times developed that lisp. cubans don't even pronounce the letter s. glad you're having a good time. i'm really enjoying your blog. hey go out at night sometime and try to find a corner taco stand. they only come out at night and they have the best tacos.

rhonda said...

I too am enjoying the blog. But, I beg you as a mother....PLEASE don't smoke! It is a horrible habit babe.
Glad to hear you are loving it, makes me happy. Miss you though. Love you, mom

Mikey Cowden said...

The Spaniards gave them a beautiful language but sadly Catholocism and a horrible pillaging as well. You better take this opportunity to learn.